2012 Fall Virtual Competition Winners Announced
PHOENIX. -- Avnet, Inc. (NYSE:AVT), a leading global technology distributor, has announced that registration is now open for college students across the nation to compete in both the Arizona Onsite and Spring Virtual Avnet Tech Games. The events help students prepare for real-world business opportunities and compete for a chance to win scholarships.
The Spring Virtual Avnet Tech Games competition is open to college students nationwide. The onsite competition is open to Arizona college students only and will be held April 13, 2013, at The University of Advancing Technology in Tempe, Ariz. Both competitions challenge students to test their knowledge, creativity, decision-making, problem-solving and technical skills.
“We continue to invest in the Avnet Tech Games year after year because we believe strongly in the value it brings to the community and industry,” said Teri Radosevich, vice president of community relations and public affairs, Avnet, Inc. “These games provide college students with an opportunity to experience realistic work situations, faculty gain insight into today’s business needs and the business community benefits because graduates are better prepared for the workplace.”
The 2013 Spring Virtual Avnet Tech Games include:
- Android™ App Sell it or Smelt it - Students develop a mobile application for the Android™ platform by using innovative MIT Android™ App Inventor Technology.
- Green Video Competition - Competitors combine video production skills, environmental awareness and marketing skills to create a short video on environmental initiatives at their college.
The 2013 Arizona Onsite Avnet Tech Games include:
- Accenture Green Data Center Challenge - Develop and present a proposal to bring an aging legacy data center forward into a model green data center.
- Build the Fastest Computer - Build, troubleshoot and tune a PC the fastest.
- Digital Design Dilemma - Create, validate and document a FPGA design that works on a provided circuit board.
- Java Blitz – Develop an application using Java 7 Standard Edition, which is a popular software development language that is used in many large corporations today.
- Networking Expert Battle - Student teams will set up, deploy, troubleshoot and repair a network similar to a small office configuration.
- Patch Panel Madness - Build a working data network using a provided network diagram, cabling, patch panels, switches and racks.
- Robot Race Obstacle Course - Build and program a robot to maneuver and tow objects through different courses.
This year’s Avnet Tech Games co-sponsor is NYSE Euronext. Students participating in the onsite games will have the opportunity to attend a networking hour, where they can connect with Avnet and NYSE Euronext in addition to event sponsors and representatives from companies such as Accenture, DP Air Corporation, Alphagraphics, BC Graphics, Intel, Prisma Graphics , Microchip and Round2
The Arizona Onsite Avnet Tech Games will run from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, April 13, 2013 at The University of Advancing Technology, 2625 W. Baseline Rd., Tempe, Ariz.
2012 Fall Virtual Competition Winners
- Android™ App Showdown – Chaitanya Deosthale of San Diego State University developed the best Google Android™ App using Google's Android™ SDK and Open API.
- Design the Best Windows 8 Computer – Danielle Clarke and Kevin Hemmer and their faculty coach, Daniel Mazzola, of Arizona State University designed the best all-around Microsoft Windows 8 computer solution for a specific scenario.
- Supply Chain Challenge - Dmitry Lavnik, Yuan Li, Adrienne Tamame and Mingxue Zhao of Yale University generated the highest profits within a virtual factory by properly forecasting capacity and inventory and making timely pricing decisions.
For more information or to register go to: http://avnettechgames.com/
Follow us on Twitter: @AvnetTechGames
Follow us on Facebook: facebook.com/AvnetTechGames
Avnet, Inc. (NYSE:AVT), a Fortune 500 company, is one of the largest distributors of electronic components, computer products and embedded technology serving customers globally. Avnet accelerates its partners' success by connecting the world's leading technology suppliers with a broad base of customers by providing cost-effective, value-added services and solutions. For the fiscal year ended June 30, 2012, Avnet generated revenue of $25.7 billion. For more information, visit www.avnet.com.
Office: (480) 643-7234
Cell: (480) 543-8521